For the Graham Cracker Crust:
- 1 1/2 cups honey graham cracker crumbs
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil or plant-based butter
- Optional: ¼ cup LIVAFOODS date sugar if the graham cracker crust is not sweetened with honey.
Stovetop-Only Pumpkin Filling
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree (canned or homemade)
- 2/4 cups LIVA date sugar
- 1 cup coconut cream (full-fat)
- ½ cup sweetened condensed coconut milk
- 2 1/2 teaspoons agar agar powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Graham Cracker Crust
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C).
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the graham cracker crumbs and optional 1/4 cup of date sugar. Mix well.
3. Add the melted coconut oil or plant-based butter to the crumb mixture and stir until it resembles wet sand.
4. Press this mixture firmly into the bottom and up the sides of a 9-inch tart pan to form the crust. Use the back of a spoon or the bottom of a measuring cup to ensure it is well-packed.
5. Bake the crust in the preheated oven for about 10 minutes or until it's lightly golden. Remove it from the oven and let it cool while you prepare the stovetop-only filling.
Stovetop Pumpkin Filling
1. In a medium saucepan, whisk together the pumpkin puree, 2/4 cup date sugar, coconut cream, sweetened condensed coconut milk, spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger), salt, and vanilla extract until well combined.
2. Place the saucepan on the stovetop over medium heat. Lightly sprinkle the agar agar over the mixture for even distribution and mix well. Continuously whisk the mixture while it comes to a simmer.
3. Once it starts to simmer (light boil), reduce the heat to low and continue to cook and whisk for about 5-7 minutes, or until the mixture thickens and becomes smooth. This step activates the agar agar as a binder.
4. Remove the saucepan from heat and allow the filling to cool for a few minutes. During this time, it will continue to thicken.
5. Pour the stovetop-only pumpkin filling into the pre-baked graham cracker crust.
6. Allow the tart to cool at room temperature for about 30 minutes, cover and then refrigerate it for at least 3-4 hours or until it's completely set. For best results, allow the tart to refrigerate overnight.
7. Once the tart has set, slice and serve with walnuts, pecans whipped cream or your favorite choice of toppings.