- 2 cups butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 large Spanish or local cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons LIVA FOODS date syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt(adjust to taste, start with 1 tsp)
- Black pepper to taste
- Olive oil for cooking
Toppings (Optional) and Additional Suggestions:
- 6 whole grain burger buns
- 1 cup baby spinach or arugula
- 1 cup red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup goat cheese (or a vegan cheese alternative)
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted, and chopped
- 1/4 cup date syrup (for drizzling)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (for drizzling)
- Salt and pepper to taste
Additional topping ideas:
- Sliced avocado
- Sautéed mushrooms
- Pickled red onions
- Sliced tomatoes
- Hummus spread
1. Prepare the Burger Patties:
- Steam or roast the diced butternut squash until fork-tender. Mash it in a large bowl.
- Add cooked quinoa, black beans, breadcrumbs, chopped onion, minced garlic, date syrup, spices (cumin, coriander, garlic powder, cayenne, smoked paprika), salt, and black pepper to the mashed squash. Mash and mix until well combined.
2. Shape and Cook the Patties:
- Divide the mixture into 6 equal portions and shape each into a burger patty.
- Heat a skillet or grill pan over medium-high heat, adding a generous amount of olive oil to ensure a well-cooked center. Cook two patties at a time or each separately for the best cook.
- Cook the burger patties for about 3-4 minutes on each side, or until golden brown and heated through.
3. Prepare the Toppings:
- While the patties are cooking, lightly toast the whole grain burger buns.
- Toss the baby spinach or arugula with a bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Toast the walnuts in a dry pan over medium heat for a few minutes until fragrant, then chop them.
4. Assemble the Burgers:
- Place a handful of dressed greens on the bottom half of each bun.
- Add a slice of red cabbage on top of the greens.
5. Add the Patties and Toppings:
- Place a cooked butternut squash patty on each bun.
- Crumble goat cheese (or vegan cheese) on top of the patties.
- Sprinkle the toasted and chopped walnuts over the cheese.
6. Drizzle with Date Syrup and Balsamic Vinegar:
- Drizzle each burger with a generous amount of date syrup and balsamic vinegar for a sweet and tangy flavor.
7. Complete and Serve:
- Top each burger with the other half of the toasted bun.
- Secure them with a toothpick if needed, and serve immediately.
Enjoy these Fall Veggie Harvest Burgers!