If you are seeking a nourishing and delectable dish for your summer BBQ get-togethers, search no more than this BBQ salad. Traditional BBQ dressings and sauces often have elevated levels of processed sugars, which can affect certain individuals. However, I have replaced those refined sugars with LIVA foods date syrup, derived from organic whole dates. This syrup retains the fiber
and nutrients while offering a lower glycemic index. Moreover, dates are known for their digestive-friendly properties. Delight in a recipe that not only enhances well-being but also tantalizes your taste buds.
Crispy Sesame Ginger Tofu
1 block of firm or extra-firm tofu 85g
3 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon LIVA Foods date syrup
1 tablespoon grated ginger
2 cloves garlic, minced.
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Salt and pepper to taste
Cooking spray or additional sesame oil for greasing
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or lightly grease it with cooking spray or sesame oil.
2. Drain and press the tofu to remove excess moisture. Place the block of tofu between two plates or cutting boards with a weight on top, and let it sit for about 15-20 minutes. Then, cut the tofu into small cubes or rectangular pieces.
3. In a bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, sesame oil, rice vinegar, date syrup, grated ginger, minced garlic, salt, and pepper.
4. Place the tofu pieces into the bowl with the marinade, gently tossing them to ensure even coating. Let the tofu marinate for about 15-20 minutes to absorb the flavors.
5. In a separate shallow dish, mix the cornstarch (or arrowroot powder) and sesame seeds.
6. One by one, remove the tofu pieces from the marinade and coat them in the cornstarch-sesame seed mixture, pressing gently to adhere the coating.
7. Transfer the coated tofu pieces to the prepared baking sheet, arranging them in a single layer.
8. Bake the tofu in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, or until it turns golden brown and crispy, flipping the pieces halfway through cooking.
9. Once the tofu is cooked, remove it from the oven and let it cool slightly before serving.
10. Serve the crispy sesame ginger tofu alongside the BBQ salad for a balanced and flavorful meal
2 cups mixed greens (spinach, arugula, or lettuce)
1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved.
1 cup grilled corn kernels
1 cup black beans rinsed and drained.
1 avocado diced or 1 mango or butternut squash.
1/2 cup red onion thinly sliced.
1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped.
2 tablespoons LIVA Foods date syrup
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic, minced.
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika.
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a large bowl, combine the mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, grilled corn, black beans, avocado, red onion, and cilantro. Toss gently to mix the ingredients.
2. In a separate small bowl, whisk together the date syrup, olive oil, apple cider vinegar, Dijon mustard,
minced garlic, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper (if using), salt, and pepper until well combined. Taste and adjust the seasoning if needed.
3. Drizzle the BBQ dressing over the salad and toss gently to coat all the ingredients with the dressing.
4. Serve immediately and enjoy your delicious BBQ salad!
Note: You can also add grilled chicken, shrimp, or tofu to the salad for extra protein if desired.