Ah, Coke—a beautiful creation that's undeniably addictive and holds a nostalgic charm for many. But as you've probably heard, indulging in it daily isn't the best call for your well-being. Its high refined sugar content and the notion of guzzling empty calories instead of savoring nutrient-rich meals are the culprits.
In my teenage years, I bid farewell to Coke due to digestive woes, although I cherished its taste. Becoming a nutritionist further solidified my determination to find a healthier Coke option, one that might not be an exact replica but could evoke the beloved flavors—just like Coke-flavored gummies.
And behold, I present you with a wondrous recipe—a healthier Coke imitation! Not only does it retain the essence of Coke, but it also boasts the hidden benefits of fiber from date syrup. The date syrup generously supplies iron, minerals, and vitamins that dates naturally offer, adding to its nutritional appeal. Its delightful caramel flavor makes it the perfect fit for my Coke recipe.
So, savor this nutritious delight—a delightful Coke rendition that nourishes your body and satisfies your taste buds in equal measure. It's a guilt-free indulgence worth celebrating!
1/3 cup LIVA date syrup
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon orange zest
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons water
1. In a saucepan, combine the date syrup, fresh lemon juice, orange zest, cinnamon, nutmeg, coriander, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt.
2. Stir in the water and bring the mixture to a simmer over medium heat, stirring constantly.
3. Reduce the heat and let the mixture simmer for about 5-7 minutes, until it has slightly thickened.
4. Remove the pan from the heat and let the syrup cool to room temperature.
5. Once the syrup has cooled, transfer it to an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator overnight.
To use the syrup to make a homemade "Coke" drink, simply start by mixing a few tablespoons of the syrup to one cup + 2 tablespoons of sparkling water and ice.
Make sure to mix the syrup well. Adjust the amount of syrup to your taste and enjoy your homemade cola.
The syrup can be stored in the refrigerator for some time, but it's best to use it within a few weeks for optimal freshness.