Today is July 6th, which means its my birthday! With that being said, Im gifting you and my self with this sweet, soft yet high fiber vanilla cake. This recipe is made with LIVAFOODS date sugar and powder; date products that have all the fiber as the original date. The recipe also used ground flaxseeds to support hormone health, digestion and blood sugar balance. This recipe will make a layered cake with a simple and delicious flavor profile. Let's get started!
For the cake:
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup date sugar
1/2 cup date powder
1/4 cup ground flaxseed
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup unsalted butter or plant-based butter, softened
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup Soy milk
For the frosting: Your choice of healthier vanilla frosting
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C). Grease and flour two 9-inch round cake pans.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, date sugar, date powder, ground flaxseed, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk together until well combined.
3. In a separate bowl, cream the softened butter using an electric mixer until it becomes light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in the vanilla extract.
4. Gradually add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, alternating with the plant-based milk. Begin and end with the dry ingredients, mixing just until everything is combined.
5. Divide the batter equally between the prepared cake pans. Smooth the tops with a spatula.
6. Bake in the preheated oven for approximately 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
7. Remove the cakes from the oven and let them cool in the pans for about 10 minutes. Then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.
8. While the cakes are cooling, prepare the frosting.
9. Once the cakes have cooled completely, spread a layer of frosting on top of one cake layer. Place the second cake layer on top and frost the top and sides of the cake with the remaining frosting.
10. If desired, decorate the cake with fresh berries and sliced almonds.
11. Slice and serve your delicious vanilla birthday cake!